This is a class blog for the students of POLSCI 426: Congressional Politics at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.

Obey To Retire

David Obey, the House Appropriations Committee Chairman and a senior member of the congressional Democratic leadership, has announced that he will retire this November. Obey is a representative for WI's 7th congressional district and has been in office since 1969. This will definitely open the eyes of Republicans who will see this as a pivotal moment. Democrats, on the other hand, have to be concerned that this may create a ripple effect and lead to them losing House majority.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing insightful or academic here. I just wanted to say that I'm sad to see Obey go. I've learned that he also has allied strongly with my rep. Peter DeFazio from Oregon on several issues; at least I noticed his name as co-sponsor on a bunch of bills. Anyway, a powerful representative that understands his district.