This is a class blog for the students of POLSCI 426: Congressional Politics at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.

Heatlhcare 2010 Strategic Voting

Key votes for the healthcare bill. But the talk is that may make or break them in the upcomming midterms. This is a classic case I think of strategic voting, the way they vote will have dire consequences at the mid term elections. Of the “Top 5”, three have quality challengers. This will be another reason for the short vote, if they can not get a “full house” onboard it could spell major problems in the future for the 3rd house, the president.

1 comment:

jonmguse@uwm.edu said...

I think that is true especially in districts that could go either way. I am surprised they are still pushing forward as hard as they are knowing they really have not sold it to the public yet, and it will cost several politicians their careers. I understand that the democratic base is pushing hard and completely on board with the plan, however moderate democrats and independents may not be. I also think maybe that the ones holding out on Pelosi are trying to get everything they can out of her knowing how badly she wants this. This is not a good bargaining position for Pelosi. I think one of the prime rules in negotiating is that one side has to know if the they push to hard the other side will walk away, that is not the case here. I do not believe Pelosi will walk away and therefore these democrats hold all the power and I think they know it.

Blog Archive