This is a class blog for the students of POLSCI 426: Congressional Politics at the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee.

Wisconsin Primary

I tried to resist the temptation to blog about the upcoming presidential primary, however, the Democratic race is too heated to ignore. The link is from pollster on the support for the Democratic candidates and it is real close. I was only concerned about voting for my alderman during the primary election on Tuesday because it seems that McCain has virtually clinched the Republican nomination. However, to touch on a class related topic, I am now choosing to wake up real early to walk down to Riverside High School to partake in some strategic voting. I understand that the Republican nominee is going to have a difficult election this year, that is why I must do my part to help my party by voting for the Democrat candidate I feel has less chance of succeeding in November. I hope all conservatives in class do the same. =)

3 comments:

nsimmons said...

Well by now everyone knows that McCain will most likely be the Republican presidential candidate by looking at the number of delegate votes he has. But the Democratic candidate is still up for grabs. You're strategic voting seems very reasonable to get the party you want elected (as I'm sure most Republicans will vote for the candidate less likely to win). However, as much as people may want the Democratic or Republican to win by a landslide, I think it is more interesting when the race is very close. So although you're reasoning may make sense, I have to diasgree with the way in which you want to get the Republican party elected.

MSULEJIC said...

I was planning on doing the same thing, but it would not do any good if only a minority of republicans do it. I am not happy with anyone left, but the remaining Republicans will get my vote over any Democrat period. Just wait for them to pick one and when the people see how extremely to the left these people really are they will implode on their own.

M Bluethman said...

If all Republicans went out to vote for "the Democratic candidate they think can't win" (or should i just say Hillary?), wouldn't that be embarrassing for the presumptive GOP candidate to potentially lose the primary or even win it without a large majority? Like msulejic said it is doubt that an overwhelming number of Republicans would do that, but in theory it could happen.

Blog Archive